When was the Whiskey Sour invented
The exact origin of the Whiskey Sour cocktail is unknown, but it is believed to have been invented in the late 19th century, sometime in the 1870s or 1880s.
One popular theory is that the cocktail was created by a bartender named Elliott Stubb, who worked at a bar in Iquique, Chile. According to this story, Stubb created the drink as a way to make sour-tasting whiskey more palatable for his customers.
Another theory suggests that the Whiskey Sour was invented by sailors in the British Royal Navy in the 1700s. They would mix citrus juice with their daily ration of rum or whiskey as a way to prevent scurvy and make the spirits more palatable.
Regardless of its exact origin, the Whiskey Sour remains a popular cocktail to this day and has been enjoyed by people all over the world for over a century.
What Ingredients do I need to make a keto whiskey sour
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Keto-friendly sweetener (stevia, erythritol, or monk fruit sweetener)
- Garnish (cherry and/or lemon wedge)
How to Make keto whiskey sour?
- Fill a shaker with ice.
- Add whiskey, lemon juice, keto-friendly sweetener, and egg white to the shaker.
- Shake vigorously for 10-15 seconds to emulsify the egg white and create a frothy texture.
- Strain the mixture into a glass filled with ice.
- Garnish with a lemon wedge or twist, if desired.
Note: Some people may prefer to use a sugar-free simple syrup instead of a keto-friendly sweetener. To make a simple syrup, combine equal parts water and keto-friendly sweetener in a small saucepan and heat until the sweetener is fully dissolved. Let cool before using in your cocktail.
Remember to enjoy keto whiskey sour in moderation, as it still contains alcohol and calories.
What keto-friendly sweeteners are available?
- Stevia: Stevia is a natural sweetener that comes from the leaves of the Stevia rebaudiana plant. It is a popular sugar substitute for those following a keto diet. You can buy stevia extract or liquid stevia and add it to your whiskey sour to taste.
- Erythritol: Erythritol is a sugar alcohol that is commonly used as a sugar substitute. It has zero calories and does not raise blood sugar levels, making it a popular choice for those following a keto diet. You can buy erythritol granules or powder and use it in your whiskey sour recipe.
- Monk Fruit Sweetener: Monk fruit sweetener is a natural sweetener that comes from the monk fruit. It has zero calories and does not raise blood sugar levels, making it a great choice for those following a keto diet. You can buy monk fruit sweetener in granules or powder form and use it in your whiskey sour recipe.
To make a keto-friendly sweetener, you can combine any of these sweeteners with a small amount of water and heat it in a saucepan until it dissolves. Start with a small amount and add more to taste, since the sweetness level may vary depending on the brand of sweetener used. Let the mixture cool before using it in your whiskey sour recipe.
Tip For Making a Whiskey Sour
Here are a few tips to make a perfect Whiskey Sour:
- Use fresh ingredients: Use fresh lemon juice instead of bottled lemon juice, as it will give a better taste to your cocktail.
- Use a good quality whiskey: The quality of the whiskey will affect the taste of your cocktail, so use a good quality whiskey for the best results.
- Shake it well: Shake the ingredients vigorously for at least 10-15 seconds to fully mix the flavors and chill the drink.
- Use ice: Use plenty of ice to chill the drink and dilute it to the right level. The dilution will help to balance the flavors and make it easier to drink.
- Adjust the sweetness: Adjust the sweetness of your Whiskey Sour by adding more or less simple syrup, depending on your taste preference. Start with the recommended amount and adjust accordingly.
- Garnish it: Add a lemon slice or cherry as a garnish for an extra touch of flavor and presentation.
By following these tips, you can make a delicious and refreshing Whiskey Sour that will impress your guests.
Frequently asked questions
What type of whiskey is best for a Whiskey Sour?
Any type of whiskey can be used in a Whiskey Sour, but bourbon is the most popular choice. Rye whiskey or blended whiskey can also be used.
What is the ratio of ingredients in a Whiskey Sour?
The classic ratio is 2:3/4:1/2 of whiskey, lemon juice, and simple syrup. However, you can adjust the ratio to your taste preference.
Can I use bottled lemon juice instead of fresh lemon juice?
While bottled lemon juice can be used, fresh lemon juice will give a better taste to your cocktail.
How should I serve a Whiskey Sour?
A Whiskey Sour should be served in a rocks glass filled with ice. It can be garnished with a lemon slice or cherry.
Can I make a large batch of Whiskey Sour?
Yes, you can make a large batch of Whiskey Sour by multiplying the ingredients and mixing them in a pitcher. Just be sure to adjust the ratios of the ingredients accordingly.
Is it possible to make a Whiskey Sour without egg white?
Yes, it is possible to make a Whiskey Sour without egg white. Egg white is used to create a frothy texture, but it can be omitted if desired.