Best 50 Old Fashioned Cocktails – Caipirinha:
When was the Caipirinha Invented?
The Caipirinha is a traditional cocktail from Brazil and its exact origin is uncertain. However, it is believed to have originated in the early 20th century in the state of Sao Paulo, Brazil, where it was created as a medicinal drink made with cachaça, lime, honey, and garlic.
Over time, the recipe evolved to its current form, which consists of cachaça, lime, sugar, and ice. The Caipirinha became widely popular in Brazil during the mid-20th century and is now considered the country’s national cocktail.
What You Need
- cachaça (Brazilian rum)
- lime (depending on the size of the lime and your personal taste)
- granulated sugar
- Crushed ice
How to Make a Caipirinha
- Cut the lime into small wedges or rounds and place them in a highball glass or a rocks glass.
- Add the sugar to the glass and use a muddler or a wooden spoon to gently mash the lime and sugar together, releasing the lime juice and oils.
- Add crushed ice to the glass, filling it about 2/3 full.
- Pour the cachaça over the ice and stir the mixture together with a spoon.
- Top the glass with more crushed ice, if needed, and give the cocktail a final stir.
- Garnish the cocktail with a lime wedge or a slice, if desired.
Tip For Making a Caipirinha
- Use fresh, high-quality ingredients: The key to a good Caipirinha is using fresh, high-quality ingredients. Choose a good quality cachaça, fresh limes, and granulated sugar for the best flavor.
- Adjust the amount of sugar and lime to your taste: The amount of sugar and lime you use can vary depending on your personal taste and the size of the lime. Start with 2 teaspoons of sugar and half a lime, and adjust the amount to taste.
- Don’t over-muddle the lime: When muddling the lime and sugar, be careful not to over-muddle the lime. You want to release the juice and oils without mashing the lime into a pulp, as this can make the drink bitter.
- Use crushed ice: Crushed ice is essential for a good Caipirinha. It chills the drink quickly and helps to dilute the sugar and lime, creating a balanced flavor.
- Stir well: Be sure to stir the cocktail well after adding the cachaça to ensure that all the ingredients are well mixed.