Old Fashioned Cocktails – Clover club:
When was the Clover Club Invented?
The Clover Club cocktail is believed to have been invented in the 1880s , a gentlemen’s club in Philadelphia.
The cocktail was popular among the club’s members and became a popular drink at bars and restaurants throughout the country in the early 20th century.
The original recipe called for gin, raspberry syrup, lemon juice, and egg white, shaken together to create a frothy and refreshing cocktail. While the Clover Club fell out of favor in the mid-20th century, it has recently experienced a resurgence in popularity among cocktail enthusiasts.
What You Need
- raspberries syrup
- pasteurized egg white
- lemon juice
- ground cinnamon
- lemon zest curl
- fresh thyme
How to Make a Clover Club
- In a cocktail shaker, add gin, fresh lemon juice, raspberry syrup, ground cinnamon, fresh thyme and 1 egg white.
- Fill the shaker with ice and shake vigorously for 10-15 seconds to emulsify the egg white and create a frothy texture.
- Strain the mixture into a chilled coupe or martini glass.
- Garnish the cocktail with a raspberry or lemon twist, if desired.
- Serve the Clover Club immediately, while it is still cold and frothy.
How To Serve a Clover Club
How to Make Raspberries Syrup
- 1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Rinse the raspberries and place them in a small saucepan.
- Add the water and sugar to the saucepan and stir to combine.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the mixture simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the raspberries have broken down and the mixture has thickened.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer into a clean container, pressing on the solids to extract as much liquid as possible.
- Let the raspberry syrup cool to room temperature, then transfer it to a clean jar or bottle and store it in the refrigerator.
Your raspberry syrup is now ready to use in cocktails, lemonade, or other drinks. It will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Tip For Making a Clover Club
- Use fresh ingredients: Fresh lemon juice and raspberry syrup will give your cocktail the best flavor. Use ripe raspberries to make your own raspberry syrup for an extra burst of flavor.
- Use a dry gin: A dry gin will complement the tartness of the lemon juice and the sweetness of the raspberry syrup. Avoid using a floral or sweet gin, as this may overpower the other flavors in the cocktail.
- Use a good-quality egg white: The egg white is a key ingredient in the Clover Club, and using a good-quality egg white will help create the desired frothy texture. Make sure to use fresh, high-quality eggs.
- Shake vigorously: To create the frothy texture of a Clover Club, you need to shake the cocktail vigorously for at least 10-15 seconds. Use plenty of ice to help chill the cocktail and create a good froth.
- Garnish with a raspberry or lemon twist: A garnish adds the finishing touch to a Clover Club. A raspberry or lemon twist is a great option to complement the raspberry and lemon flavors in the cocktail.
Frequently asked questions
What does the Clover Club cocktail taste like?
The Clover Club cocktail is a sweet, tart, and refreshing drink with notes of lemon and raspberry. The egg white adds a frothy texture and a creamy mouthfeel.
Can I use frozen raspberries to make raspberry syrup?
Yes, you can use frozen raspberries to make raspberry syrup. Make sure to thaw them before using and adjust the cooking time as needed.
Can I use another type of fruit syrup instead of raspberry syrup?
While raspberry syrup is the traditional choice for a Clover Club, you can experiment with other fruit syrups, such as strawberry or blackberry. Keep in mind that this will affect the flavor of the cocktail.
Can I use a cocktail shaker instead of a Boston shaker to make a Clover Club?
Yes, you can use a cocktail shaker with a built-in strainer instead of a Boston shaker and a separate strainer. However, make sure to shake the cocktail vigorously to create a good froth.
Can I make a Clover Club without egg white?
While the egg white is a key ingredient in a Clover Club, you can make a version of the cocktail without it. However, this will result in a less frothy and creamy cocktail.
What type of glass should I serve a Clover Club in?
A traditional Clover Club is served in a chilled coupe glass, although a martini glass can also be used.