When was the God Father Invented
The exact origin of the Godfather cocktail is unclear, but it is believed to have been created in the 1970s. The drink’s name is a reference to the classic 1972 movie “The Godfather,” which starred Marlon Brando and Al Pacino.
The Godfather cocktail is a simple but delicious cocktail that consists of just two ingredients: scotch whiskey and amaretto liqueur. The combination of these two ingredients creates a smooth and slightly sweet cocktail with a subtle almond flavor.
While the exact origin of the Godfather cocktail is unknown, it is believed to have been popularized in the United States in the 1970s and has remained a classic cocktail ever since.
What You Need
- Scotch whisky
- Peated whisky (optional)
- Disaronno originale
How to Make a God Father
- Fill a rocks glass with ice to chill it.
- In a separate mixing glass or shaker, combine 2 oz of Scotch whisky and 1/2 oz of amaretto liqueur.
- Add ice to the mixing glass or shaker and stir or shake until the ingredients are well combined and chilled.
- Discard the ice from the chilled rocks glass.
- Strain the mixed ingredients into the chilled rocks glass.
- Garnish with a twist of lemon or orange peel (optional).
- Serve and enjoy your Godfather cocktail!
Note: Some people prefer to build the drink directly in the rocks glass by adding the Scotch and amaretto to the ice, stirring to combine, and garnishing with a twist of lemon or orange peel.
Tip For Making a God Father
- Choose the right type of Scotch: A good Scotch whisky is key to making a great Godfather cocktail. Opt for a blended Scotch whisky that is not too peaty or smoky, as this can overpower the sweetness of the amaretto. A mellow or medium-bodied Scotch, such as a Speyside or Highland whisky, is a good choice.
- Use good quality amaretto liqueur: Choose a high-quality amaretto liqueur that has a smooth and sweet almond flavor. Avoid any liqueur that tastes too artificial or has a strong, overpowering flavor.
- Chill the glass: Fill the rocks glass with ice and let it chill for a few minutes before making the cocktail. This will help keep the drink cool and prevent it from getting diluted by melting ice.
- Use a mixing glass or shaker: Using a separate mixing glass or shaker to combine the Scotch and amaretto will help ensure that the ingredients are well mixed and chilled.
- Stir, don’t shake: The Godfather is traditionally stirred, not shaken. Stir the Scotch and amaretto together gently to avoid bruising the whisky and to ensure that the flavors are well combined.
- Garnish with a twist of lemon or orange: A simple twist of lemon or orange peel can add a fresh, citrusy aroma and flavor to the cocktail, making it even more enjoyable.
- Experiment with proportions: If you find the cocktail too sweet, try reducing the amount of amaretto. If you prefer a stronger almond flavor, increase the amount of amaretto. Experiment with the proportions until you find the perfect balance of sweet and smooth.