Old Fashioned Cocktails- Tom Collins:
When was the Tom Collins Invented?
The Tom Collins is a classic cocktail that is said to have been first created in the 19th century. The exact origin of the cocktail is uncertain, but it is believed to have been named after a practical joke that was popular in the 19th century, in which someone would go up to a friend and ask if they had seen a man named Tom Collins. The person being asked would inevitably reply that they had not seen him, at which point the joker would say that Tom Collins had been spreading false rumors about the person and was talking about them behind their back. This would cause the person to become angry and start looking for Tom Collins, who of course did not actually exist.
This cocktail is believed to have been created as a response to this practical joke, as a way of making light of the situation. The cocktail consists of gin, lemon juice, sugar, and carbonated water, and is typically served in a tall glass over ice. It is a refreshing and easy-to-drink cocktail that has remained popular for over a century.
What You Need:
- freshly squeezed lemon juice
- simple syrup (or sugar syrup)
- carbonated water
- Lemon slice or cherry for garnish (optional)
How to Make a Tom Collins
- Fill your glass with ice to chill it while you prepare the cocktail.
- In a cocktail shaker, add the gin, freshly squeezed lemon juice, and simple syrup.
- Fill the shaker with ice and shake vigorously for about 10-15 seconds.
- Strain the cocktail mixture into your chilled glass.
- Add the carbonated water to the glass, stirring gently with a bar spoon.
- Garnish with a lemon slice or cherry, if desired.
Tip For Making it?
- Use fresh ingredients. The key to a great Tom Collins is using freshly squeezed lemon juice and high-quality gin. The lemon juice provides a bright and tangy flavor that balances the sweetness of the simple syrup, while the gin contributes the botanical notes and complexity that make this cocktail so delicious. When selecting gin for your Tom Collins, look for a brand that you enjoy drinking straight, as the flavor will be more pronounced in the cocktail.
- For the best results, chill your glass in the freezer before making the cocktail to keep it cold and refreshing.
- Finally, use a long spoon or straw to stir the carbonated water into the cocktail gently, to avoid overmixing and losing the carbonation. With these tips, you’ll be able to make a delicious and refreshing Tom Collins every time!